Monastery of the Holy Trinit at Gianotas

It is located in the west of the village and was built in 1155 (in the reign of emperor Emanouil Komninos) according to the evidence of a stone table that was decorated with a Byzantine eagle carved in relief.

The monastery that had been under the authority of the Patriarchate had a big fortune and took an active part in the Greek War of Independence of 1821.It was burnt down in 1866 and was rebuilt in 1867. The only part of the monastery that has been preserved up to the present day is the nave including its rare religious paintings of secular art. It is worth mentioning its woodcut icon screen.
Copyright Περιφέρεια Θεσσαλίας - Περιφερειακή Ενότητα Λάρισας - Created by itbiz