Monastery of Prophet Elijah's at Tirnavos

According to the tradition, it was founded in the Byzantine era thanks to an imperial list in spite of the fact that it hasn’t been proved yet. The oldest written evidence based on inscriptions, reveal that its religious paintings date from 1632 and 1646.

It is a church of three aisles. The upper parts of the religious paintings of its dome have been preserved. The artists who made them came from Linotopi of Kastoria. The original woodcut icon screen hasn’t been preserved. However, the icon screen was taken to the monastery from Prophet Elijah’s church since it had been pulled down.
Copyright Περιφέρεια Θεσσαλίας - Περιφερειακή Ενότητα Λάρισας - Created by itbiz