Saint George's Church at Domenico

In the northeast of Domeniko and on the acropolis of the ancient settlement of Hireties there is Saint George’s church, a basilica of three aisles, the roof of which is wooden. It had been the See of the episcopacy of Domenico and Elassona.

The oldest layer of its religious paintings dates from 1611 yet the “stall”, the trefoiled window of the shrine, the inscription on the western wall and the arched colonnades date from the Byzantine period.

Unfortunately, hardly any parts of the woodcut icon screen, which is an exquisite piece of work, have been preserved.
Probably, the church has been built on the ruins of an older Christian one dating from the early Christian period.

8rhsk_mnhmeia_naos_agiou_gewrgiou_domenikou 8rhsk_mnhmeia_naos_agiou_gewrgiou_domenikou2 8rhsk_mnhmeia_naos_agiou_gewrgiou_domenikou3
Copyright Περιφέρεια Θεσσαλίας - Περιφερειακή Ενότητα Λάρισας - Created by itbiz